I’ve had a love affair with glitter ever since my first pair of little red Dorothy shoes, but it’s been quite some time since those sparkly shoes graced my feet. I’ve been seeing diys for making your own glitter shoes all over the blogosphere, so on this past snowy Sunday I broke out the craft glitter, mod podge, and an old pair of black heeled oxfords and got to work!
I was inspired by this multicolored pair from the ladies of A Beautiful Mess, but I wanted to make sure they were durable, or at the very least that I wouldn’t be trailing glitter all over the land so…
I used Erica from Honestly WTF’s technique of mixing equal parts Mod Podge and glitter and painted 3 coats over my black oxfords.
Some quick tips!
1. If your shoes have a shiny surface rough them up with a bit of sand paper or steel wool.
2. Take the laces out of the shoes if they have them. Don’t worry about staying away from the eyelets, you can stick the end of the bobby pin through them when they’re done and cut away the excess with a nail clipper (see number 5). My shoes came with ribbon laces but if yours don’t I would recommend picking up some ribbon at your craft store. I think they add a little something whimsical and I love the contrast of the black ribbon with the bright glitter.
3. Make sure each coat dries before moving on to the next. You don’t necessarily need 3 coats but keep going until you hide the color underneath.
4. Focus on completing small sections and be especially careful along the edges. Use your nail to run along the edge to make sure you have a clean line (so wait to get your manicure until after you finish!).
5. If you notice any glitter clumps once your shoes are dry, just use a nail clipper to cut down the glitter.
I’m so happy with how they turned out! I can’t wait to dance my fancy feet to holiday festivities all season long! Let me know if you make a pair for yourself!
Have a great Monday dears!
Screen Siren xx